Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Top Ten Toolkit: IUC Spiral Art Ed Site

Gude, O. UIC Spiral Art Education. Retrieved at: http://www.uic.edu/classes/ad/ad382/index.html.

I found this website about a year ago, and I just keep coming back to it. The web editor is apparently the coordinator of the Art Education department at University of Illinois in Chicago... something like that. But apparently they're very passionate about innovative art ed practices that focus on multicultural perspectives, community involvement, meta-curriculum... etc.

There's articles on pedagogy, lesson plans (and examples), teen art programs that UIC undergrads are involved in... just a lot of information. I like the lesson plans in particular because they are extremely creative and highly adaptable. This is where I go when I'm having trouble coming up with an art project.

For instance, a visiting artist (Heather McAdams) developed an art project for UIC: autobiographical comicstrips. The article explains the purpose of this project, the process the teacher takes the students through, and some variation on the project. There are several student examples given (both middle and high school).

Look at what teenagers are capable of doing: telling a story through words and images in an intriguing way. I want my kids to do stuff like this.

This is really more of a resource for myself, rather than something for students to be directly involved with. I've been using this as a resource since my Art 360 class (Foundations of Art Education). I'll probably be using it in the fall (Art 363/365) and during my student teaching.

Go check it out.

1 comment:

  1. I love this resource and immediately I want to create one of my own. I can see something like this being used in any classroom. Things I can't stand about science or Romeo or algebra. Plus, the sneaky thing is that you figure out what they know about a topic and they are using visuals as literacy. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete