Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Top Ten Toolkit: Brochure.

One memory that stuck with me from my practicum was the day we spent in the library, getting the students to research for an art history paper. I was so flippin' excited to share with the students because I love art history. I brought some of my own books, helped them find information, gave them some key words to research, helped with citations... I was all over it.

The kids were less than enthusiastic. I can understand; I don't like to write research papers either.

But it got me thinking for a while: what's a good way to get students engaged in research but not have them feel overwhelmed with something as daunting and as tedious as a research paper?

Enter: the Brochure. Research required, but only give the essential information, presented in an engaging and colorful manner. And illustration and visuals are required to enhance the written word. So students have the additional problem of composing a well-laid-out brochure. And it doesn't have to just be the typical fold-twice-over brochure. We can get way super-fancy and work this thing on an 18"x24".We can do brochures.... with posters!! We can do art history... with time lines!!

But let's take it a step further: my final project for one of my classes last semester was to make a 'zine. I can honestly say this was the most engaging and FUN final project EVER.

Here's a link: How-To-Zine-Crash-Course

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love that you are thinking beyond the typical research paper. Giving students choice in how they present the research will make the projects rich and interesting.

    ReplyDelete