Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Top Ten Tool Kit: A Textbook.

Kleiner, F. S. (2008). Gardner's Art Through the Ages: The Western Perspective. Ohio: Wadsworth.

Okay, I'll admit, Gardner's Art Through the Ages is really a college-level textbook. I probably wouldn't assign reading from it. I wouldn't expect a high school to order a whole bunch of these for art students. But to have a current edition in a school library, or to have my copy in an art library in my class? Most definitely. This is my go-to book for just 9/10ths of my art knowledge because it has so much. It runs the gamut, from ancient to contemporary, Greek, Scandinavian, Middle East, to Etruscan and Egyptian. It is the penultimate survey of Western Art. I <3 this book to pieces. Sure, it's typically on the market somewhere between $150-$180, and more current editions are more expensive. But it's the only art history book to print all of its images in full color, and give a scale of the artwork. I base my opinion of all other art texts to this one, because Gardner's sets the standard.

I talk to other art majors, and they regret they sold this book back. Yeah, they should regret it, because it's a very easy source. Why go to Wikipedia when you have this book? This is the best book to begin research for an art history report, develop a basic understanding for art periods, movements, and styles, and the pictures are just wonderful. You can't have a good art resource without good pictures. And when I'm having trouble coming up with a lesson plan? I go to this book for inspiration. What culture do I want kids to focus on? What pieces are we going to learn about? How can I inject an art project into these lessons? What processes and techniques are we going to learn?

I bought this book for my Art 101 class. We probably only used a third of it. So there are still parts I haven't read, chapters I know nothing about. I should probably read up on the chapters related to the Middle East and Muslim art, incorporate works we have in the Freer gallery in DC, develop discussion about tensions pertaining to Islamic groups, why that is, use an art lesson to foster an appreciation for religious diversity...
makes for a good two-week unit, where we can incorporate things like geometric designs, calligraphy, a history lesson on the Hagia Sophia... can you tell I love this book?

No comments:

Post a Comment